Show: March 25, 2012:
- The Supreme Court and the Individual Mandate
- Art Caplan: Legal & Moral Views of the Individual Mandate
- Myth: Sleeping Problems Increase With Age
- Vaccine Recommendation for Adults
- Doc Chat: Alcohol and Breast Cancer Risk
- Toxic Shark Fins
- Book: Organize Your Mind Organize Your Life
- View all topics for the week
The Supreme Court and the Individual Mandate
Interview: Aaron Carroll, MD, associate professor, pediatrics, director, Center for Health Policy and Professionalism Research
IU School of Medicine
This week the Supreme Court begins hearing oral arguments about the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act passed by Congress in 2010. The court is expected to rule in late June or early July.
On the show this week, Sound Medicine’s health policy expert Aaron Carroll, MD, addresses the crux of the argument, the "individual mandate" – the requirement that each person buy health insurance, or pay a penalty.
Dr. Carroll directs the Center for Health Policy and Professionalism Research at the IU School of Medicine. He blogs on the politics of health care for the Journal of the American Medical Association.