Show: July 8, 2012:
- Is extended treatment timeframe following strokes sound science?
- Are anthrax kits beneficial to the public?
- How important is fiber for adolescents?
- How reliable are statins in the fight against heart disease?
- Are statins responsible for fatigue?
- Are parents happier than non-parents?
- Do fish oil supplements boost heart health?
- Can corporate wellness programs improve employee health?
- View all topics for the week
How reliable are statins in the fight against heart disease?
Interview: Sharon Begley, senior health & science correspondent at Reuters and the author of numerous books about science and the brain
Statins are often turned to as a treatment for high cholesterol. Sharon Begley, senior health and science correspondent at Reuters, discusses her new report that concluded that statins do not benefit people who have no symptoms of heart disease.