Show: August 12, 2012:
- What danger lies in synthetic drugs?
- Can dim lighting influence your mental health?
- Is the safety of already approved drugs questionable?
- Are reusable shopping bags good for your health?
- What can the increasing number of cancer survivors be attributed to?
- How can stem cells revolutionize cancer treatments?
- View all topics for the week
Checkup: Are reusable shopping bags good for your health?
While reusable shopping bags have been toted for being environmentally conscious, they may be responsible for the spread of bacteria. Consumers often use reusable shopping bags for a variety of purposes which can result in cross contamination of common items. Chuck Gerba, microbiologist at University of Arizona has found bacteria originated from raw meat on shopping bags, 8% of which contained the troublesome E.coli.