Show: September 9, 2012:
- Are laws restricting sugary snacks effective in fighting childhood obesity?
- What are the consequences of unintended pregnancies?
- What is the relationship between fitness and grades in adolescents?
- Is there value in adding ultrasound technology to routine mammograms?
- How does mobility affect the diagnosis of breast cancer?
- Can meditation combat loneliness?
- How can personal narratives serve to influence public health policy?
- Can the overuse of technology precipitate forms of mental illness?
- View all topics for the week
Is there value in adding ultrasound technology to routine mammograms?
Interview: Kathy Miller, M.D.
A recent study suggested adding ultrasounds or MRIs to routine mammograms for women with dense breasts. The study said such imaging techniques increase the likelihood of catching the incidence of cancer in women with dense breasts, who are also at a higher risk of developing breast cancer, but that this method also produces more false positives. Kathy Miller, M.D. shares her perspective on the results of this study and offers advice for women regarding their annual mammograms.