Show: September 16, 2012:
- Is prescription painkiller abuse on the rise?
- Can exercise help you finally kick the smoking habit?
- Can a powerful antibiotic used in animals fight superbugs without causing hearing loss in people?
- Is there a gender bias in vegetable consumption?
- How does marriage affect heart surgery outcomes?
- What techniques can aid women caring for their ailing husbands?
- View all topics for the week
Is prescription painkiller abuse on the rise?
Interview: Palmer MacKie, M.D., Assistant professor of clinical medicine and Andrew Chambers, M.D., associate professor of psychiatry, both at Indiana University- Purdue University Indianapolis.
Two doctors who see increasing numbers of patients addicted to painkillers discuss their theory on why this is happening and the system they are developing to combat this epidemic. Palmer MacKie, M.D., assistant professor of clinical medicine, and Andrew Chambers, M.D., associate professor of psychiatry, both at the Indiana University School of Medicine, discuss the rising epidemic of prescription painkiller abuse and their plan to combat this epidemic at Wishard Hospital.