Show: September 23, 2012:
- How prevalent are eating disorders among older women?
- What impact does fast food consumption have on the development of diabetes?
- What health risks are associated with tattoos?
- What has changed since the Womenís Health Initiative findings ten years ago?
- Why do chimps rarely suffer from cancer?
- How do long periods of sitting affect your longevity?
- How does a patientís motivation towards their health care facilitate health outcomes?
- View all topics for the week
What impact does fast food consumption have on the development of diabetes?
Interview: Andrew Odegaard, Ph.D., Post-doc researcher, University of Minnesota.
Andrew O. Odegaard, Ph.D., of the University of Minnesota School of Public Health in Minneapolis, studied people from Singapore who consumed Western-style fast food at least twice a week. He found that their odds of developing diabetes increased by 27 percent and their risk of developing cardiovascular disease increase by 56 percent. Odegaard shares the results and significance of his study, the first to compare the impact American fast food has on another culture.