Show: October 14, 2012:
- How do different subtypes of breast cancer affect treatment?
- Can cute images boost your brain power?
- What creates communication barriers between caregivers and health care providers?
- How can bacteria aid in weight loss?
- What has changed at the IUSM Student Outreach Clinic since its inception in 2009?
- Can our complex healthcare system be boiled down to a 200-page paperback?
- View all topics for the week
How do different subtypes of breast cancer affect treatment?
Interview: Kathy Miller, M.D., breast cancer expert at Indiana University Simon Cancer Center.
According to a recent genetic analysis, four distinct types of the most common breast cancer tumors are thought to arise in the milk duct. ”Breast cancer is not one disease; it is one of several different diseases that all happen in the breast,” said Kathy Miller, M.D, breast cancer expert at Indiana University Simon Cancer Center. Miller shares her thoughts about how treatments will be geared toward each of these four types and how soon this discovery will help physicians target therapies to benefit breast cancer patients.