Show: December 2, 2012:
- How can doctors combat violence?
- Can swimming spur development in young children?
- What role does fat grafting play in plastic surgery?
- Can a new care model improve outcomes for patients with Alzheimer’s disease?
- How is HIV treated today?
- Can math anxiety trigger physical pain?
- How is the Riley Mother Baby Hospital in Kenya impacting mothers?
- View all topics for the week
What role does fat grafting play in plastic surgery?
Interview: Daniel Del Vecchio, M.D., Founder and owner of Back Bay Plastic Surgery in Boston.
Daniel Del Vecchio, M.D., plastic surgeon at Back Bay Plastic Surgery in Boston, explains how fat grafting is used to remove unwanted fat from areas such as thighs and hips and transplanted to areas where fat is desirable, including the face and breasts. Del Vecchio describes the different classifications of fat grafting, including volume expanders versus regeneration. In the future, Del Vecchio pictures growth and interest in the area of fat grafting in terms of “cell banking” for future use in fighting diseases.