Show: December 2, 2012:
- How can doctors combat violence?
- Can swimming spur development in young children?
- What role does fat grafting play in plastic surgery?
- Can a new care model improve outcomes for patients with Alzheimer’s disease?
- How is HIV treated today?
- Can math anxiety trigger physical pain?
- How is the Riley Mother Baby Hospital in Kenya impacting mothers?
- View all topics for the week
Checkup: Can math anxiety trigger physical pain?
Ian Lyons, post-doctoral research in psychology at the University of Chicago discovered that people with high math anxiety exhibit changes in parts of the brain associated with pain when presented with math problems. Lyons shares more about his research and its potential to curb math anxiety with ‘Sound Medicine’ host Jeremy Shere in this weeks “Checkup.”