Show: December 30, 2012:
- What is the Berlin Heart?
- What is behind the increased prevalence of preschoolers with cavities?
- How are pediatricians helping families with medically complex children?
- Does new drug signify cystic fibrosis breakthrough?
- How do teenagers interpret the cancer experience?
- Are parents happier than non-parents?
- View all topics for the week
Does new drug signify cystic fibrosis breakthrough?
Interview: Katrina Roi, Independent Producer.
A drug approved by the FDA in January treats the underlying cause of a rare form of cystic fibrosis, a debilitating genetic disease that patients typically succumb to by their early 30s. This revolutionary breakthrough could not have been possible without a venture philanthropy partnership between a nonprofit foundation and a for-profit pharmaceutical company. Independent producer Katrina Roi reports in a special field piece on this significant advancement.